Crossroads connections visualizedBy Lindsay Young Oct 06 2010 12:10 p.m. 1 comment
Crossroads Media has a slew of conservative leaning political organizations as their clients spending millions in the run up to mid-term elections on ad buys. The company has processed more than $10.6 million worth of ad placements this election cycle (not all that money ends up with Crossroads Media--the bulk goes to the television, radio, cable and other outlets that run the advertisements it places).
All but one of their clients – the Susan B. Anthony List -- are connected to two high profile Republican operatives, Karl Rove and Mary Cheney. Rove helps to raise money for American Crossroads, Crossroads GPS, Americans for Job Security and Partnership for America’s Future. Mary Cheney is associated with Partnership for America’s Future and Send Harry Packing while she is personally in charge of Alliance for America’s Future.
Crossroads media is on the top five media companies hired so far in this election cycle.According to an analysis using new Reporting Group tool -- Follow the Unlimited Money -- that tracks all outside spending for the mid-term elections these six organizations have spent $14,959,800 backing six Republicans and opposing 19 Democrats and supporting three Republicans, according to independent expenditure reports filed with the Federal Election Commission.
A large portion of the spending by these six groups goes to Crossroads Media. For instance, American Crossroads has spent $691,700 to oppose Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev. The majority of the money, $666,500 went to Crossroads Media for Media Placement. The remainder, $25,100, went to Wilson Grand Communications for TV and media production.
Another example is Crossroads GPS’ electioneering campaign against Sen. Michael Bennet, D-Colo., where they spent $213,477 and part of the money went to hire Crossroads Media.
Mary Cheney does not have a connection to Amercians for Job Security, as misstated in the previous version of this post.
Search the Blog
Real Time Ticker
- Mayors Against Illegal Guns runs ad backing Nevada background checks
- Thanks to lobbying, farm bill yields crop insurance funds
- Surge of immigration lobbyists fueled by push for high-skilled foreign workers
- Health group airs ad backing Obama EPA nominee
- Apple lobbies on taxes more than any other subject
Reporting we're watching
- OpenSecrets: Millionaire Freshmen Make Congress Even Wealthier
- OpenSecrets: Wall Street Shaped Bill Easing Oversight, and Kept Contributions Coming
- OpenSecrets: Fastest Growing Cities Lean Right
- Sunlight Foundation: Oversight Committee Endorses Public Access to Agency Reports to Congress
- Sunlight Foundation: Calls for Reform of IRS Rules Face Resistance from Dark Money Advocates