Crossroads connections visualizedBy Lindsay Young Oct 06 2010 12:10 p.m. 1 comment
Crossroads Media has a slew of conservative leaning political organizations as their clients spending millions in the run up to mid-term elections on ad buys. The company has processed more than $10.6 million worth of ad placements this election cycle (not all that money ends up with Crossroads Media--the bulk goes to the television, radio, cable and other outlets that run the advertisements it places).
All but one of their clients – the Susan B. Anthony List -- are connected to two high profile Republican operatives, Karl Rove and Mary Cheney. Rove helps to raise money for American Crossroads, Crossroads GPS, Americans for Job Security and Partnership for America’s Future. Mary Cheney is associated with Partnership for America’s Future and Send Harry Packing while she is personally in charge of Alliance for America’s Future.
Crossroads media is on the top five media companies hired so far in this election cycle.According to an analysis using new Reporting Group tool -- Follow the Unlimited Money -- that tracks all outside spending for the mid-term elections these six organizations have spent $14,959,800 backing six Republicans and opposing 19 Democrats and supporting three Republicans, according to independent expenditure reports filed with the Federal Election Commission.
A large portion of the spending by these six groups goes to Crossroads Media. For instance, American Crossroads has spent $691,700 to oppose Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev. The majority of the money, $666,500 went to Crossroads Media for Media Placement. The remainder, $25,100, went to Wilson Grand Communications for TV and media production.
Another example is Crossroads GPS’ electioneering campaign against Sen. Michael Bennet, D-Colo., where they spent $213,477 and part of the money went to hire Crossroads Media.
Mary Cheney does not have a connection to Amercians for Job Security, as misstated in the previous version of this post.
Search the Blog
Real Time Ticker
- IRS takes aim at $300 million campaign influence industry
- Happy Thankgiving! How does campaign cash affect the food on your plate?
- Christie brings his clout, fundraising chops to new role as RGA head
- Stockman campaign goes for campaign finance hat trick
- Bakers group happy to win exemption from food safety law
Reporting we're watching
- OpenSecrets: Millionaire Freshmen Make Congress Even Wealthier
- OpenSecrets: Chinese Telecom Firm Says It's Not Giving Up the Fight in Washington
- Sunlight Foundation: Today in #OpenGov 12/5/2013
- Sunlight Foundation: Montgomery County’s Open Data Town Hall, the Town Hall of the Future
- Sunlight Foundation: Scout Delivering Court Opinions Through the Awe-Inspiring Power of CourtListener