First lady courts LGBT donors over lunchBy Keenan Steiner Sep 05 2012 10 p.m.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- After a rousing convention speech Tuesday night that, among other things, commended LGBT Americans for their courage to marry, Michelle Obama spent about an hour Wednesday at a downtown Charlotte Marriott courting well-heeled gay donors.
According to one political consultant and LGBT activist there, she knocked it out of the park. “It was like a conversation in a living room almost,” said Palm Springs, Calif. LGBT activist and political consultant Greg Rodriguez.
The lunch was put on by the Victory Fund, a political action committee meant to recruit and elect LGBT candidates, and the Human Rights Campaign.
Rodriguez, who is on the board of the National Stonewall Democrats, said the lunch was skimpy on food – serving two cheese slices and some vegetables on a plate, perhaps in a nod to Obama’s healthy eating campaign – but heavy on cheerleading.
“If you haven’t maxed out, please max out,” the First Lady said, according to Rodriguez, likely referring to the maximum $35,800 that individuals can give to the Obama Victory Fund this year.
He said there were certainly super PAC donors there, a wealthy class that Democratic outside groups are working hard to court this week, though he declined to say who they were. In all, he estimated that there were about 200 people at the event.
More than anything, it was a get-out-the-vote speech, Rodriguez said. She urged the crowd to go volunteer their time in swing states.
Search the Blog
Real Time Ticker
- Americans for Prosperity takes aim at farm bill
- California billionaire pumps $1 million more into Mass. senate race
- Stealthy super PAC avoids disclosing donors before Mass. special election
- Pesticide industry would benefit from farm bill provisions
- Will Bloomberg's wrath hurt senators who opposed gun bill?
Reporting we're watching
- OpenSecrets: Millionaire Freshmen Make Congress Even Wealthier
- OpenSecrets: Politicking Around Town: CRP's Guide to the Top Eateries and Hotels for Dems and the GOP
- Sunlight Foundation: The SEC and Dark Political Money
- OpenSecrets: The Politics of Fire
- Sunlight Foundation: 2Day in #OpenGov 6/17/2013