Gingrich super PAC backers pulled the plug before he did?By Kathy Kiely Apr 25 2012 11:28 a.m.
The latest news reports say that Newt Gingrich plans to drop his roller coaster of a presidential bid next week but Sunlight's Follow the Unlimited Money tracker suggests that the former House speaker's biggest money backers may already have pulled the plug.
Winning Our Future, the pro-Gingrich group that has been almost entirely funded by the family of gambling mogul Sheldon Adelson, made it's last independent expenditure almost a month ago in the Wisconsin primary, the tracker shows. That means the committee didn't play in Delaware, the state where Gingrich vowed to make his last stand -- and which turned into his Waterloo.
Of the nearly $24 million Winning Our Future raised since its creation last year, $21.5 million was donated by Adelson and members of his family. The last donation -- $5 million from Adelson's wife, Miriam, came on March 21.
The Adelsons may be switching their loyalties from a former GOP House leader to the current one: they recently kicked a combined $5 million into the Congressional Leadership Fund, a super PAC linked to House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio.
Search the Blog
Real Time Ticker
- Crossroads GPS pushes Congress to pass immigration overhaul in web video
- Americans for Prosperity takes aim at farm bill
- California billionaire pumps $1 million more into Mass. senate race
- Stealthy super PAC avoids disclosing donors before Mass. special election
- Pesticide industry would benefit from farm bill provisions
Reporting we're watching
- OpenSecrets: Millionaire Freshmen Make Congress Even Wealthier
- OpenSecrets: Election 2012: The Big Picture Shows Record Cost of Winning a Seat in Congress
- Sunlight Foundation: New G8 Open Data Charter
- Sunlight Foundation: 2Day in #OpenGov 6/18/2013
- Sunlight Foundation: Possible impacts of the Czech political turmoil