Sunlight Live to cover Senate hearing on Super PACs and Citizens UnitedBy Becca Heller Jul 24 2012 11:58 a.m.
Join us on Sunlight Live as we cover the Senate Judiciary Committee's hearing examining the impact that Super PACs and the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision are having on elections. The hearing, called "Taking Back Our Democracy: Responding to Citizens United and the Rise of Super PACs," will be held by the Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Human Rights and will be covered live today at 2:30p.m. today.
Chariman Dick Durbin, D-Ill., will lead the subcommittee as two panels of witnesses testify to the state of our democracy and the influence of Super PACs. Witnesses will include Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., Sen. Bernard Sanders, I-Vt., Sen. Thomas Udall, D-N.M., Rep. Donna Edwards, D-Md., former Louisiana Gov. and longshot GOP presidential candidate Charles "Buddy" Roemer, Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Lessig, and Cato Institute senior fellow Ilya Shapiro.
Join us as we report on the hearing live, providing context on the topic and background research on witnesses and committee members. And don't forget to check out our Follow the Unlimited Money Tracker for all the latest on outside spending in the 2012 election cycle.
Search the Blog
Real Time Ticker
- Thanks to lobbying, farm bill yields crop insurance funds
- Surge of immigration lobbyists fueled by push for high-skilled foreign workers
- Health group airs ad backing Obama EPA nominee
- Apple lobbies on taxes more than any other subject
- Reporter's notebook: How we came up with that campaign finance maze
Reporting we're watching
- OpenSecrets: Millionaire Freshmen Make Congress Even Wealthier
- OpenSecrets: Just Who Was Rand Paul's Apology For?
- OpenSecrets: Shape-Shifting by Liberal Dark Money Groups Seems Meant to Confuse
- Sunlight Foundation: OpenGov Voices: Network, collaborate, and innovate at CityCamp NC
- Sunlight Foundation: 2Day in #OpenGov 5/22/2013