Who 'nose' why Obama deleted this tweet?By Keenan Steiner Aug 15 2012 5:16 p.m.
For some reason President Obama's campaign deleted two tweets quickly after posting them Tuesday, but the reasons remain shrouded in mystery. When Sunlight called the campaign to ask about the deletions, an aide said that no one could talk about them over the phone. Hmm? Is there something we're missing here?
We had to email our questions to the press office. At press time, we were still awaiting illumination. Now that we have received it, you, dear readers, are among the first to know:
UPDATE, 8:30 p.m.: At 6:30 p.m. we got an email from an unnamed source on the Obama campaign media team providing us with the oh-so-sensitive information. The campaign aide wrote: "The photo upload failed, so it was throwing an error for people. We're planning on re-posting it today or tomorrow." The rest of our post follows as originally written.
The nearly identical tweets were uncovered on Sunlight’s Politwoops, which also caught some hasty expunging of the official congressional Twitter record earlier this week after lawmakers posted to their official accounts inappropriately partisan reactions to GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney's pick of Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., as his running mate.
It’s a good bet that the Obama tweet linked to this Associated Press photo of POTUS leaning down to let a baby touch his face when visiting the Iowa State Fair Monday.
Obama tweeted “Got Your Nose” and linked to a photo. If indeed it’s the AP photo, the campaign committed a big boo-boo: the 9-month-old baby boy is in fact poking Obama's eye and grazing his forehead, not grabbing his nose. Fact-checkers unite! We hope nobody on the campaign team was fired for this grave gaffe.
Perhaps the Obama team wanted to do a background check on the baby before being associated with him, nervous that he could be a diaper-wearing drug dealer.
But, because of the Obama campaign’s infantile media policy, we may never know the truth behind these deleted tweets. We’ll keep you updated if we hear anything.
Search the Blog
Real Time Ticker
- Thanks to lobbying, farm bill yields crop insurance funds
- Surge of immigration lobbyists fueled by push for high-skilled foreign workers
- Health group airs ad backing Obama EPA nominee
- Apple lobbies on taxes more than any other subject
- Reporter's notebook: How we came up with that campaign finance maze
Reporting we're watching
- OpenSecrets: Millionaire Freshmen Make Congress Even Wealthier
- OpenSecrets: Just Who Was Rand Paul's Apology For?
- OpenSecrets: Shape-Shifting by Liberal Dark Money Groups Seems Meant to Confuse
- Sunlight Foundation: OpenGov Voices: Network, collaborate, and innovate at CityCamp NC
- Sunlight Foundation: 2Day in #OpenGov 5/22/2013