Adelsons give $5 million to YG Action FundBy Jacob Fenton Jul 15 2012 11:43 p.m.
Billionaire casino owner Sheldon Adelson and his wife, Miriam, gave a combined $5 million to the "YG Action Fund", a super PAC with ties to House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., according to Federal Election Commission filings made Sunday night.
The contributions, dated April 30th but first revealed in the group's second quarter filings, dwarf the super PAC's fundraising to date; all other donations together come to just $394,150.
This is the second big donation to come from Miriam and Sheldon Adelson in the second quarter; filings made last week showed Sheldon Adelson gave $1 million to a super PAC supporting Florida Republican Rep. Connie Mack's bid for senate. Filings covering the month of June are due Friday, and are expected to include $10 million in contributions to Restore Our Future, the super PAC supporting Mitt Romney.
So far this election cycle, Miriam and Sheldon Adelson have given $31 million, though $5 million of that was refunded to them from the super PAC supporting Newt Gingrich when Gingrich dropped out of the race. Friday's filings should bring the couple's total amount given to at least $36 million.
Adelson told Forbes earlier this year that he might give as much as $100 million to the GOP's presidential nominee.
Search the Blog
Real Time Ticker
- Mayors Against Illegal Guns runs ad backing Nevada background checks
- Thanks to lobbying, farm bill yields crop insurance funds
- Surge of immigration lobbyists fueled by push for high-skilled foreign workers
- Health group airs ad backing Obama EPA nominee
- Apple lobbies on taxes more than any other subject
Reporting we're watching
- OpenSecrets: Millionaire Freshmen Make Congress Even Wealthier
- OpenSecrets: Wall Street Shaped Bill Easing Oversight, and Kept Contributions Coming
- Sunlight Foundation: House's Legislative Data and Transparency Conference a Success
- Sunlight Foundation: OpenGov Voices: Data.gov relaunches on open source platform CKAN
- Sunlight Foundation: 2Day in #OpenGov 5/24/2013