Pro-gay GOP super PAC has one donorBy Jacob Fenton Jul 19 2012 11:32 a.m.
Last month, Republican billionaire Paul Singer made news with the announcement of a new, unlikely super PAC: American Unity Inc. It's mission, according to the New York Times, which ran a story about the PAC on June 9, is to "encourage Republican candidates to support same-sex marriage."
The super PAC was officially formed June 19, according to Federal Election Commission records.
Singer has a gay son and has given millions to support gay marriage in New York and elsewhere. He's also given to mainstream Republican causes, including $1 million last year to Restore our Future, the super PAC supporting Mitt Romney. But while Romney's fundraising apparatus is picking up steam, Singer's has yet to take off. June filings made Thursday show that his $1 million donation was the only gift the PAC has received.
Search the Blog
Real Time Ticker
Reporting we're watching
- OpenSecrets: Millionaire Freshmen Make Congress Even Wealthier
- OpenSecrets: CRP Hosts Dark Money Panel
- OpenSecrets: Democrat Outspends Rival In Run-Up to Mass. Special Election
- Sunlight Foundation: How to Read The US National Action Plan
- Sunlight Foundation: The Week in Politwoops: An Early Christmas in Alabama, Thanksgiving Crab and a Clumsy Ninja